Saturday 15 February 2014

Week 7 Post FAI Surgery


Week 7 feels like a VERY long week.  I feel ok, my hip feels good and I just want to get on do things! I carried on full weight baring on two crutches for a few days. It is nice to get out walking on the sea wall as fully weight baring means I can walk normally without straining my shoulders. So I go for 5 minute walks every day. By the Wednesday I am really bored of 2 crutches so start switching down to 1 in the house – only for carrying things when I need to. It feels good to be able to make my breakfast and carry it, even if it does take 3 trips (1st to take cup of tea in, 2nd to take toast, 3rd to fetch crutch number 2!) But using one crutch makes things ache a bit, all the muscles on my non op side between my ribs are really sore and my lower back aches as I feel I am a bit twisted, so I carry on with two wherever possible.

On the Friday I had couple of things on. I had to feed some clients cats, collect my friends little dog that stays with us when she is on night shifts  and go the beauty spa to have my legs & feet done in prep for hydro - I have no hope of doing such things! So I take 1 crutch, it goes ok but it is really tiring and by the time I get back home I am really tired and achy and a bit bummed out thinking I am not going to be able witch to one crutch when he said I could.

I spend Saturday feeling very sorry for myself and using 2 crutches around the house. Pretty much the same on the Sunday but Paul talks me into going to see my horse, maybe to have a ride. Paul saddles him up and off they go to the indoor school and I follow on one  crutch. Paul lunges him a little first and CB seems in a very relaxed state of mind. I really didn’t want to get on as I was just feeling sorry for myself but with  the determined voice in my head and Paul's encouragement I do it: I get up onto the mounting block like I do stairs and pass the crutch to Paul. Then I put my non op leg in the stirrup and realise I can't push up off my right leg like I would normally. SO I have to haul myself with my hands on the front and back of the saddle. IT REALLY hurts, Not sharp pain but that tight feeling from the muscles all being to tight. Three attempts of me saying “I can’t do it” and Paul saying “you can” (he told me later that if I said it a 4th time he would have let me stop) And on the 4th attempt I manage to get my leg up onto CB’s bum. My leg just feels like a big lump of lead that doesn’t want to do anything! “My leg's stuck1" the two options available of carrying on or getting off now look both as impossible as each other so I opt for carrying on. Paul comes round to my side and helps move my leg a bit further on then he goes back round the other side “Right, you are going to have to lie forwards and let your leg drop down this side, I’ll control it” OK. There was no going back “This just seems like such a stupid thing to be doing, why am doing this”? and then, my leg is down on the right side of CB and and I am sitting up. It feels VERY weird. Like I can't  get on my seat bones in the saddle  as I would normally. I am perched there, on top of my horse, my head is spinning and I have no hope of getting either of my legs to a position where I can get my feet in the stirrups. My non op leg feels just as tight as my op leg. “ok?” says Paul “yeah”, says I.

And so we go for a walk, only 5mins, around the school. And my head the spins the whole time. “what a stupid position to be in, sat on a horse, 7 weeks post open hip surgery, I cant even get my feet in the stirrups never mind actually ride him! If he does something silly now, I will fall straight off” But then I think “No don’t be stupid. Trust your husband, trust your  horse, trust the training he has on him, trust what you did with him last year, Trust the fact he is your horse and he knows you need him to be good” So I did I relaxed a bit but my head still span. And then it was time to get off. Paul tied CB up to the tie ring and told him to be still. And he was. He stood like a gentle lamb whilst Paul first helped lift my leg up onto his bum then ran round to the other side and helped lower my leg down as I slid off and he caught me. DONE I had ridden my horse and wonderful clever horse he is, I gave him a big hug and a kiss. I was more proud of him being so gentle and kind and understanding than I was of what I had managed to do.
 
Me and My Horse, after our first ride,
7 weeks post op
 

No comments:

Post a Comment